Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A South African Master

Well, I think I've finally made a deadline. It's been a bit of a sweat as I haven't painted for 9 days whilst on duty at our annual SA Society of Artists Members Exhibition. But here it is. This is my entry to the Masters Challenge blog run by Michelle Burnett and she certainly challenged me with this one.

Although I find landscapes quite daunting, I had no trouble at all in selecting one of my favourite South African artists to copy.

Pierneef (full name is Jacobus Hendrik Pierneef) has always been immensely appealing in his rather 'different', geometric way of portraying the landscape of our country. His love of the land shows through in all his work, a love, I guess, that is shared by most of us Africans.

This one is entitled Bushveld Autumn Landscape and was painted in 1943. I did check that I was within the copyright limits of 50 years; Pierneef died in 1957.




No comments:

Post a Comment