Monday, November 29, 2010

Etsy? Love it? Hate it? Advice?



So through all my lovely friends here in the blogosphere I've discovered Etsy.

I know I know, I'm so out of it, but I swear, I'd never heard of it until recently.

Going through the site, I got that creative tickle that starts somewhere inside your cranium and then proceeds to engulf your entire body.  I used to be really good at making stuff.  When I first started taking Ritalin and Adderall, I was up for a week straight making things.  I love crafting, but I really don't go out much so networking has been out of the question until now.

I tried an eBay store once up a time, a very long time ago, but I just tired of the whole thing since there is SO much there I found things becoming devalued just because there were a million other people selling the same things.  People didn't look for quality or originality it seemed as much as the lowest bid.

But now....Etsy looks cool to me.  I love the guidelines for what can be offered and it seems very user friendly.

Skipping the usual humor for a moment, I'll give you a brief overview of things going on with me right now.

I poke fun at being a narcoleptic, but it's frustrating.  Maddening most times.  I actually envy people who can't sleep.  I sleep anywhere from 14 to 18 hours every day, so it's almost impossible to keep up with the usual things most people do every day.  After being laid off four years ago and being owed almost seventeen thousand dollars in back pay that I'll never get (yes, I've tried.  Everything) we've struggled financially.  We've gone into foreclosure three times and have thus far  managed to keep our house at the cost of my husbands retirement plan.

I won't bore you with the specifics, but at this point every extra dollar helps.

Along comes Etsy.  I registered last night, but I didn't complete it cuz of the $1.01 cent transaction.  Until hubby gets paid tomorrow, there was the very real possibility that the buck and a cent would overdraft our account.  What I really wanna know is have any of you started a shop or have a favorite shop you frequent?  Do you love it?  Do you think it's worth having a go at?  Oh and what kind of things are you looking for when you go?

I've pulled out the infamous "box o' craft stuff" and I'm ready to give it a try, but wanted to know what YOU think before I jump in feet first.

No comments:

Post a Comment